We are on a mission to be the name in craft cannabis. We can’t do that without great people. Are you ready?
Founded in Hamilton, Ontario in 2014, Radicle Medical Marijuana is a licensed Cannabis Company under the Cannabis Act. Radicle and Gage have a mission to become the leader in the craft cannabis segment with the highest standards in social responsibility and ethical business practices, and is a proud platinum member of the Ontario Living Wage Program. The company’s world-class cannabis team produces premium indoor small-batch cannabis that is hydroponically grown. Radicle/Gage received its grower’s license in January 2018.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for the company’s financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with lending institutions and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports including monthly bank reconciliations. This position involves supervision over general accounting, property accounting, internal auditing, cost accounting, and budgetary controls.
- Maintain books of account (including but not limited to preparing checks, coding and posting invoices, preparing deposits, journal entries, reconciliations, petty cash)
- Oversee issuing of checks / payment of invoices
- Prepare monthly / quarterly financial statements for project staff, Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Liaise with project staff and support them in book-keeping needs related to their program areas
- Oversee accounts receivable
- Assist in payroll functions
- Maintain investment schedules, oversee cash flow requirements, and communications with bankers on investments
- Maintain accounts and relations with bankers
- Oversee internal system of handling funds
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for any audits or independent reviews with support from the Executive Director and treasurer
- Complete monthly reconciliation for all accounts (bank and brokerage accounts)
- Exert care and control over assets and records and establish procedures for safeguarding, including security and computer backup (copy virus checked and stored off-site)
- Assist in maintaining policy and procedure documentation for complex financial and accounting issues
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization’s books of account
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial and bookkeeping activities
- Maintain up-to-date, complete and systematic filing system to support book-keeping and financial records
- Development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the Accounting Department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and may recommend that personnel be hired or removed from the Department
- Establishes major economic objectives and policies for the company and prepares reports that outline the company’s financial position in the areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures (including the cost accounting system), and analyzes and reports variances.
- Is responsible for tax planning and compliance with Federal, Provincial and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports as necessary.
- Determines depreciation rates to apply to capitalized items and advises management on desirable operational adjustments due to tax revisions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field required
- CGA designation preferred
- 5+ years of experience in financial management
- Experience in accounting an asset
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- General understanding of computerized accounting systems
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, Quick-books and Excel
- Accuracy and attention to detail while working under tight deadlines
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills